From the guys at WalktheChat…
We will show you how to apply for a Chinese Alipay account with your passport. You will need to read some basic Chinese to navigate through the Alipay website.
What can you use Alipay for?
- Shop on most of Chinese websites, including Taobao and Tmall
- Transfer money to your friends
- Pay credit card bills
- Pay phone bills
- Go Dutch
- Get a taxi
- Invest in mutual fund with Alibaba
- Check bank balance
- In-store purchase for selected supermarket, restaurants and vending machines
Before you apply, Have the following ready:
1. Your passport number
3. Chinese phone number
4. Chinese bank account
How to create an account?
1. First, go to Alipay’s application site (make sure you are using your email to register):
2. Choose your country
3. Verify your email account
4. Verify your phone number, you have the choice of using a Chinese or a foreign phone number.
5. Fill out the registration form
ID information, choose passport and enter your passport number
That’s it, now you have Alipay account!
6. Login to your Alipay account through:
If this is the first time you are visiting the site, you will need to install the Alipay applet in order to enter the password.
7. Make a deposit
The easiest way to get started is to make a deposit to your Alipay account. Go to your account homepage and click on Chongzhi (充值）.
When selecting your bank, do not choose from the main menu because these options require a Chinese ID. Instead, click on Other Selections (选择其他) like in the picture below.
Enter the amount for deposit. Note, do not check the box below. This box is for linking your bank card with Alipay account, which will require verification or require a Chinese ID.
Follow the requirement of your specific bank and complete the deposit process.
Shop on Taobao!
You can use your Alipay account to login to Taobao.
Go to https://login.taobao.com/
Choose to login with your Alipay account
Create your Taobao user name.
During checkout, select pay with your Alipay account.
Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of an Alipay account.
Note: for some users, Alibaba may require your account to be verified before making transactions. Click “Read More” below to learn how foreigners can verify their Alipay account.